Carpet Removal

Out with the old and prepare for the new… I spent several hours on Saturday removing the old carpet. It was a real pain! I started by removing the side panels, the head panels, and then I removed all of the seat belts. I also removed the rear bulk head. It was good to see…

Firewall Painting + EDM-830

  Since the firewall had been primed – it was ready for painting. I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic, DE1615 ‘Aluminum’ color, spray paint. Dupli-Color is made by Sherwin-Williams – the same brand that I used for the primer paint. Two coats later (I waited an hour between coats) the firewall is ready to…

Firewall Preparation

After investing in some additional Scotch-Brite circular pads – the rest of the paint was removed. The heater box was also removed, along with all of the firewall plates around the cables. The brake reservoir was emptied and removed (this is just looks like a modified solvent can….). I then covered the heater box and…

Upgrading the Engine Monitor

  The new JPI EDM-830 arrived from Aircraft Spruce. Since this instrument uses the same transducer harness as the existing EDM-700, I only needed to make a new mounting plate and run the new wires for the manifold pressure and RPM transducers. The first step was to remove the existing EDM-700 unit and mounting plate,…

It’s a tail dragger!

The boyshave been busy at Auburn Airplane Works – Michael and Eric pulled the engine and the engine mount. The engine mount has been sent out for overhaul, so this leaves the firewall nice and exposed. Since the heavy weight of the engine has been removed, the plane sits as a tail dragger. However, the…